Thursday, 13 September 2012

Research

During my game design I had to think very hard on what kind of game I wish to be influenced by. Seeings my game is a horror survival game i had to research into what makes a horror game scary and what key elements I will need to create the fear into players as a whole.

After looking up a few games I came across some big scary titles such as Amnesia, Silent Hill and even Resident Evil.

Below I will attach some pictures of what these game titles are.

SILENT HILL HOME COMING

Silent Hill has always had a rivalry with Resident Evil since 1998 as both games were released in the same year and also having the same plot. Crazy monsters let loose in the city and its your job to solve whats going on, Very similar to the Resident Evil story.

Though Silent Hill has made the same amount of games as Resident Evil, Silent Hill has not taken any direction in terms of change. What I mean by this is the fixed camera angles, same town, same monsters and nothing really new except different playable characters. Though the graphics are different and the story is slightly different dont get me wrong this game is still terrifying even when you know the monster is about to jump on you from  around the corner.




RESIDENT EVIL 6

Resident Evil 6 game play from their previous games has taken a different direction in terms of gameplay. This being said it does not have the fixed camera angles it once did in the following 3 games. This game focuses on action and button mashing than the previous slow paced Resident Evil games. This is a different gameplay experience and does still make you jump from time to time again but I still get more of a fear factor from slow paced games with a guy walking towards you taking ridiculous amount of ammunition rounds to the chest than a running man waving a baseball bat around.




AMNESIA THE DARK DESCENT 

A horror game to escape a house with objectives along the way to escape the house unlocking puzzles and watching out for trap doors.



All games mentioned above are big game titles that capture the emotion of the character and have the element of surprise round every single corner and sends your heart racing.

The game wants the player to feel terrified and to take their time walking round corners to add to the fear and suspense of the game. After looking and playing these games in my own time to understand the way the game feels and plays gave me ideas on how to display my game.

In my game I do not wish to have light flares, UV lights everywhere I want a realistic game where weapons are hard to come by as they would in real life.

My game will not give you weapons to start with or a gun but just a simple bobby pin to open up your cell door. From then on the game is up to you where you start and how you play.

No comments:

Post a Comment